Monday, May 21, 2007

Using Sketches to make other Layouts

Tonight in class we had a discussion on sketches - of course I'm a huge advocate of using sketches! I use them all the time! But some people still don't get it - how using the same basic layout can actually look different by just changing the paper and embellishments. Well - I have some samples! If you didn't know already - I am the mom of 4 boys! No girls for me - that's alright! My boys are awesome!

Some of my classes in the past have looked a little "girly" - If the product "speaks to me" I have to use it in layouts. For example: Last months GIGGLE layout



It's a great layout...I just can't use this particular layout for any of my boys' pictures. So, I used the same sketch and made the layout work for me...Here are some samples of what I did:



Essentially the same layout, I just changed it a bit to fit my pictures. Look at the upper right corner of the right pages. For the Giggle layout - I used a scalloped flowery thing that I made. When I changed it to make it a baseball page - I found a great pattern paper that had a huge baseball on it. I just tore around the entire baseball and adhered it to that corner (trimmed off the edges and voila!) I made the sketch fit the theme of my pictures! Most of the pictures are from a layout I did for my older son. I did the same layout for my three older boys, because they were on the same team this particular year - I did throw in a sample of what I did to one of my other boys' page...I had more pictures of him that I wanted to get in there - so I added a hinged picture.
Hope this helps to inspire you to take another look at sketches and use them to fit you and your pictures!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...