Friday, April 27, 2007

What to Bring to a class...

I have been teaching scrapbook classes in some form or another for over 11 years now. I have seen scrapbooking evolve as an industry - heck, even my own books and styles have changed over the years...what hasn't changed is being prepared when going to a class!

When I was in school (elementary, middle school and high school) I can remember teachers always saying "come to class prepared!". There's even an area where a student can have something written on their report card that states "comes to class UN-prepared!"

Why do I bring all of this up...Well, I teach at many different stores and each has their own "policies" - so to speak...but one thing they all have in common, is that each student come prepared with a class kit. So what I find interesting is when a student shows up to class with NOTHING! Not even scissors and adhesive (which are like the air and water of taking a class!). Whether or not the store tells you, you should always bring a basic "class kit" with you to classes (whether they are mine or someone elses classes). That way you will avoid an uncomfortable situation and you won't have to buy something that you already have at home!

So what is in a "class kit"? The following is a list that I have in my basic class kit that I have with me in my bag at all times!

Scissors
12" Cutter
Adhesive
(several kinds: double sided tape, runner, glue stick, etc - you never know what you'll need)
Glue Dots (those sticky little gummy things - great for holding buttons, ribbons, etc)
Pop Dots or 3D Dots
Stapler
(I use this in almost every book and layout) & staples
Paper Piercer & Mat
Ink Pads
(basic colors are black and brown - I have about 10 colors in my bag just in case. I use the little Cat's Eyes because they can be held easily and get's in the little corners great)
Hole punches (a couple sizes)
Corner Rounder
Black Ink Pen


There are several cute totes to hold your stuff in! AMM just came out with an upgrade to their already awesome table top tote! Michael's and JoAnns also has some handy little kaddies as well!

This is just the basics - Think of this basic kit as your Scrapbook Class suvival kit! You may need more things than I'm listing, but like I said, just the basics will get you through a class in a pinch!

And as my boys are learning right now in scouts - "Always Be Prepared!"

take care...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...